Monday, 2 March 2015

Starting a Blog

I've had a few people ask me where to begin when it comes to starting a blog and by no means am I an expert, but I thought it'd be a good idea to detail what is involved within the blogosphere. 
I started blogging because I needed a way to demonstrate the fact I was a keen writer who was interested in a career in the journalism industry. I was at college and my tutor mentioned that work experience was vital in you wanted to make it in journalism - so I embarked upon blog writing and am still enjoying it three years on! I hoped my blog would be useful if ever an employer asked to see examples of my writing. You'll notice a stark difference between my first posts (very over the top and... philosophical?) to current posts whereby I write a little more relaxed and casual. I hardly updated it when I started in 2012 because of other commitments which meant I didn't really have a lot of time to dedicate days to photo-taking and writing. I'm now at university and with little contact time (with an English degree, there's more independent reading involved than lectures!) I manage to complete my reading and essays alongside fulfilling my hobby of updating my very own little space on the internet. 

There are two platforms that I know of, these include: Blogger, and Wordpress. I use blogger because I find it more accessible! 

Naming Your Blog
I wanted to keep mine simple! But catchy titles (that don't include your name) are great too. If you decide to dedicate your entire blog to make-up and beauty, it might be worth incorporating this into the name! I write about all sorts of things, and decided sticking with my name was the best bet. 

The Field 
As aforementioned, you may wish to title your blog according to what you intend to focus on via your blog posts. I would describe my blog as a lifestyle blog, as opposed to focusing solely on beauty and make-up. One of my friends has a travel blog so those interested in travel will prefer reading what she has to say - and won't waste time scrolling through other blogs in search for travel-related posts. 

Design
I like simplicity and spent ages trying to find a template that I actually liked. To no avail, I attempted to make my own after watching endless tutorials on how to create them. I was never 100% satisfied with the look however, and stumbled across Designer Blogs. I had to pay for my current layout but it's worth it if you're not a computer whizz when it comes to design, coding and using photoshop... One day I'll learn how to design my very own, but today is not that day. Some blogs display a lot of colour, but it's all down to personal taste. 

Writing
Everyone's style of writing is different so you should never feel like you can't write, in fear that others word things better than you. My posts are a little more colloquial now and this is because when I write, I want people to read and enjoy. Stick to your personal writing style and readers will bear witness to your GREAT personality. Don't feel intimidated; I used to worry a lot about how others perceived me to be, so much so I kept this blog under wraps in fear people would read it and think I was odd. Now aged 20, I'm actually the coolest person ever!! (Maybe not to you...)
Most of us are in the same position - we don't really know what's going on or what careers we'd like so for now, do what makes you really happy and ignore anyone who picks fault. 

Visuals
I always find posts a lot more interesting when photographs are involved! If you're keen to blog, investing in a good camera is worthwhile. I love Canon cameras but recently purchased a digital compact Sony after reading some excellent reviews. Canon SLRs are amazing but aren't convenient when it comes to popping them in a handbag. 

The first four photos have been taken by an iPhone 5c and the final two by a Canon/Sony. The only issue I have with using iPhone photos on Blogger is that for some reason, the quality is unnecessarily 'smoothed out/softened' which, if the photos are of people, often makes it look like faces have been photoshopped.






Blogging is a great way to record memories and has actually 'forced' me to make the most out of each day. Creating an online diary means you can look back at old memories, and allows you to realise just how far you've come over however many years. 


'We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect' - Anais Nin

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog post- and the photos you took look so good omg! :-)

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you very much Emma! Some were taken in Mexico which is one of the loveliest places with great beaches - if you ever get an opportunity to go, definitely go! :) xx

      Delete