Sunday, 8 March 2015

My Favourite Books

Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist 
Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns 
David Nicholls - Us
Markus Zusak - I Am The Messenger 
John Green - Looking For Alaska

The Alchemist 
One of my absolute favourites! It's so easy to read; some may deem it too simple but I think that's what makes it great. It's a novel with a simple storyline but the storyline is so powerful in its message. With unlikely friendships and love so indestructible, Coelho's story is a compelling narrative. I've reviewed it here in a previous post: The Alchemist Review

A Thousand Splendid Suns 
I admire Hosseini's ability to tell 30 years of Afghan history in one novel; I was hooked from the second I started reading it and it affected me quite profoundly. I was so engrossed in this book I neglected the Red Sea for Hosseini's magical words and finished it in two days. The story surrounds the concept of fate and, intertwined with the devastating affects of war in Afghanistan, Hosseini demonstrates the power of love and how love is strong enough to overcome the trials and tribulations of Afghan women. I've previously reviewed it here: A Thousand Splendid Suns Review

Us
I bought this book because of One Day's great success and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely love how David Nicholls writes! The chapters often jump in terms of timeframes and so readers bear witness to how two lovers met from the very outset of a relationship, when in reality the novel details present day events for the characters. I'm still in the process of finishing it but I love how Nicholls so cleverly incorporates humour within a novel that depicts quite a saddening situation: a failed marriage. Douglas is my favourite character and because he functions as the first-person narrator, readers will find it difficult to not sympathise with a man who is, quite simply, a misfit in a family of flamboyant, artsy and 'cool' characters. 

I have to be really careful when I choose to start a new book because I become fixated on the plot and forget that I have other really important things to do as opposed to spending hours sat reading. I was in a lecture last week and suddenly started thinking about the characters in Us as though they were real. 'Slightly worrying', I hear you say, but you're probably right. 


And if you're not a big reader, buy a book just for the new book smell. Everyone knows the smell of new books is one of the greatest ever...

2 comments:

  1. Lovely books, especially Looking For Alaska! I've bought way too many books in the last month, but it's just so tempting as the bookstore is on my way home and there are so many books that are on my reading list!
    Maria x
    http://theabsoluteobsession.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I was shocked by the ending! Oo me too haha I pass Waterstone's all the time and somehow end up in there choosing all the ones I'd buy if I had the money! I want to read all of Giovanna Fletcher's soon :) x

      Delete