Sunday, 8 February 2015

One Milkshake to Glow!

...I'll have one milkshake to go! The ingredients are fairly cheap, the recipe is easy, and your overall health will reap the benefits. 

I didn't realise how AMAZING frozen bananas and almond milk taste when blended together until a few days ago. This isn't actually a recipe I've copied from another website, but I'm sure it's been made before. Or, it could even be that I'm destined to combine new flavours to make great smoothies that have never been made before (you never know...). In a nutshell, almonds are very good for you which makes almond milk a healthy alternative to cow's milk! 





You will need:
  • Two bananas (I chop ripe bananas and put them in the freezer to ensure ice cold milkshakes!)
  • A handful of blueberries
  • A cup of almond milk
  • Half a tsp coconut oil (the solidified, natural form)
  • A drizzle of acacia honey
Place everything in a blender, and blitz! 



Health benefits include:
Bananas - Bananas are packed with potassium! The health benefits of bananas truly are endless, I couldn't find a better website to explain the greatness of bananas than this one: 25 Powerful Reasons.

Blueberries - The antioxidants and vitamins contained within the berries can help you look better, and live longer. Blueberries contain vitamins A, B, C and E! They can aid in weight loss, help heal damaged brain cells and can boost immunity. 

Coconut Oil - I don't know if this is such a good idea for everyone, but if you love all things coconut like me - you'll really be able to taste this coconut oil in the milkshake! There is a lot of information online that states coconut oil is really healthy for us - which goes against the idea that saturated fat is bad for you, since coconut oil is loaded with saturated fats. Research now proves that saturated fat isn't actually bad for you (I can't keep up) but I include this just for the sweet taste of coconut because I LOVE coconut... if you didn't quite catch that when I mentioned it before. 

Acacia Honey - This pale honey cleanses the liver (for those who like to par-tay)! I like to add this to smoothies to make the drinks taste a little sweeter. 

Almond Milk - This is a great alternative to cow's milk - and lower in calories too! It keeps your heart and your bones healthy, and your skin glowing! Almond milk contains vitamin E; the antioxidants in Vitamin E are essential to your skin's health.

I would be tempted next time to add some almond nuts (despite nuts being fairly expensive, costing an almond a leg!) and maybe some rolled oats!




No comments:

Post a Comment