Tuesday, 27 January 2015

My 20th Year

This entire post may sound a bit odd coming from someone who's 20! As you get older, insignificant things (which were once regarded by 15 year old me as of paramount concern) become less relevant and you start to realise what's more important. I've learnt a lot, for which I'm very grateful! It's crazy to think how much we change as people as we get older. I still have a lot to learn but I'm more content than I have ever been. 

Spend a little less time criticising, and a little more time focusing on yourself and all the wonderful things you already have in your life. More often than not, people waste so much time focusing on all the things they don't have, the negative, and the bad. Sometimes it does feel like everything is going wrong and nothing is going to plan but nearly everything that happens, happens for a reason. If you feel disheartened about certain aspects of your life, you have the ability to change anything. Admittedly, I always think about the future as opposed to the here and now. Knowing I'm going to have to work hard to be where I want to be is a thought that plays on my mind nearly every minute of every day. I have all these vivid ideas in my mind about future relationships and thoughts about travelling; where I'll be living, where I want to be living; what career I'll have, what career I want - escapist thoughts! 


Always spend time with happy people. Spending time with people who don't strengthen you as a person are not worth the time. I've found myself in a situation where my outlook on everything has been brightened simply by spending time with people who make me laugh. People who have the ability to make you laugh are the best kind of people - never EVER let these people become acquaintances. They are very important; keep them close. Laughing is the best cure for anything and everything. People who smile are also great - a smile given is a smile shared; just like laughter, smiling is contagious. I don't mean to sound like a preacher but those you surround yourself with have a tremendous impact on your mood, your perceptions, opinions and ultimately, your way of living. Anyone who unnecessarily makes you feel any less special than you are, are not worth your time. Always see the good in people, everyone has a good side, although this is not always revealed straight away.
Passionate people with opinions on things and a love for things are interesting people. You can learn a lot just by surrounding yourself with delightfully compelling people. I've been blessed with a truly wonderful family who are beautiful both on the inside and out. I'm surrounded by so much love and for this reason, I struggle to allow myself to feel a little down at times. I have the loveliest friends in the world. University has allowed me the opportunity to meet so many likeminded people and I'm so glad where I've ended up. When you're having a bad day, always remember that the next day could be one of the greatest, most happiest days. And never forget that if you have a roof over your head, food on your plate, and even just few people who care for you - you are far, far richer than you think. 

20 things I've learnt over 20 years:
1 Sunrises and sunsets are the most beautiful things
2 Start conversations - if you ask the right questions, you'll come to find people are fascinating and everyone has a different story to tell 
3 Be happy with nothing and you'll be happy with everything 
4 Gracefully let go of things not meant for you, and do not dwell 
5 Be confident - people are just people, they should never make you nervous 
6 Be kind, always. You never know what others are going through
7 Nutella is the best and the creators are heroes 
8 Growing sunflowers is massively rewarding - watching hard work/dedication turn in to something beautiful is a great feeling
9 Finding a good book and finishing it in a day because it's so good is a good way to spend a day
10 True love is a big deal 
11 Ferris Bueller told you that 'Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it' (listen to Ferris, remember he IS the sausage king of Chicago)
12 Surround yourself with lovely people and you'll feel happier every day
13 Forgive and make peace with your past
14 If you're feeling sad: get a biscuit and a cup of tea = you shall be cured
15 Expect nothing and appreciate everything
16 Smile at everyone - literally, everyone (even strangers)
17 Worry less 
18 Almost everything happens for a reason, you're exactly where you're supposed to be
19 Say what you feel
20 Take photographs of everything you do, everywhere you go and everything you see 

and one for luck:
21 Gratitude: take absolutely nothing for granted 


'When you do something beautiful and nobody notices, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps' - John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment